We have today welcomed a new locomotive into the collection at Apedale. Such moments are usually a cause for celebration, but in the case it’s rather bittersweet. The locomotive in question is a 48DL Ruston, number 224337 of 1944. The loco was delivered new to the London & North Eastern Railway, and worked on a 3’0″ gauge railway at their Lowestoft sleeper depot – this became British Railways in 1948. In 1964, the loco essentially disappeared; only when subsequently re-discovered (in 1989) in a yard in March did it become apparent that the loco had spent the intervening years at a concrete works near Ramsey. The loco was purchased from the yard for a private collection, and was subsequently acquired by the late Andrew Wilson, who kept in his garage. A 48DL Ruston is a tight squeeze in a domestic garage! Sadly, Andrew died earlier this year, and the Trust lost a long standing and much-respected member. He bequeathed the loco to the Trust, and it has now been moved to Apedale. This is the first ex-British Railways loco at Apedale. For the first time in its existence, the loco will be on public display at the forthcoming “Smoke without Fire” diesel weekend on October 3 & 4, further details of which are available at www.avlr.org.uk.