Want to know more about this history of this area? There have been people working in the Apedale Valley since Roman times, and probably even earlier than that!
Do you know where the name Apedale comes from?
..…. and did you know that…..
- Apedale Colliery won a national production award in 1968?
- A mineral railway came through here into the 1930’s
- Iron from the Apedale Ironworks was alleged to have been made into steel for Sydney Harbour Bridge?
- There was a Tarmacadam factory here until 1948?
- You can go down a real coal mine at the Heritage Centre at Weekends?
- Watermills Tower is the site of a colliery which closed over 80 years ago?
- The Narrow Gauge Railway operates at weekends and Bank Holidays from March to October?
This fascinating booklet with 44 pages is published by Moseley Railway Trust and is also available from the Station Shop or the Heritage Centre at £6.