We are pleased to announce that Baguley 1695 of 1928 has returned to Apedale. This loco has been on extended loan to Perrygrove whilst we were very short of shed space at Apedale. The construction of the new Aurora South shed has eased that problem (for now!). The Moseley Railway Trust would like to extend its sincere thanks to David and the team at Perrygrove for looking after this loco in the interim period.
Baguley 1695 was delivered new to Lilleshall Abbey for £260 (about £17,400 today), and it worked on the Woodland Railway. It was relegated to spare locomotive at Lilleshall by the arrival (in 1929) of a more powerful Baguley (which later ended up, as “Altonia” at Alton Towers, and is now at the Old Kiln Railway in Surrey). It was preserved by the late Reverend Teddy Boston at the Cadeby Light Railway in May 1967. It was the last loco restored by the late John Lucas before his death. The loco was referred to as “The Beast that Walketh in Darkness” by Teddy Boston due to the eccentricities of its Baguley petrol engine (and therefore it was always dark by the time it could be started). We have some powerful yard lamps at Apedale, so maybe it will be able to operate it in only semi-darkness in the future.